Friday, February 25, 2011

Surgery Success

Brooklyn (and I) woke up about 2:00am this morning so she could eat, which was good b/c I wanted her to be able to eat before her 5:00am cutoff time. The next time she woke up, it was rough. She got up at 6:30 and immediately asked for 'pantakes and tyrup'. It was so hard to not be able to give her anything. I kept trying to convince her to drink some juice so that her belly would get a little filled up, but she mostly just wanted to eat. She kept switching what she was asking for, thinking (I think) that maybe then I would let her eat something. Cereal, pizza, Cheetos, peanuts - it was so hard to keep saying no to her when she would say "Please me eat Momma, pretty pretty please." We got to the hospital about 12:00 and she was so good. She was definitely hungry, but she handled it really well. Mike and I went in to watch the surgery again & it was so much better than last time. The anesthesiologist was able to give her a little more sedative this time (since the results of her heart monitor were fine) so she stayed still the entire time during the surgery, which made it easier for the doctor to get the sample from her spine and her bone marrow. It was rough watching the doctor push the big needle thing into her bone in her hip. It was a huge blessing then that the pediatric surgeon was available and came to look at her Broviak site. It has been bothering Brooklyn for awhile and the stitches were starting to grow into her skin and it seemed to be getting irritated if not infected. I really wanted them to take the stitches out today while she was "out" during the surgery anyway, but no one was sure if they would be able to or not - they usually like to wait until 6 weeks. The surgeon did take them out, so I am hoping that it is a lot less irritating for her now. She did great coming out of the anesthesia but cried on the table until we could leave - she was so hungry! As soon as they said we could leave, we whisked her up and gave her the bag of Cheetos we brought. Her little orange face was so happy. When we got home it was hailing so much that it was like snow all over the backyard. It was so much fun! The older kids had a "snowball" fight. :) Brooklyn ate some pizza when we got home, and then had some pancakes and syrup & then just wanted to go to bed. She is pretty worn out from her big day. We are so pleased with how well the surgery went and what a good job she did. We meet with the Oncologist on Monday morning and he should have the preliminary results from the tests today and give us the next path for Brooklyn's treatment. Thank you for all of the prayers, I know that they helped our day go so well.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for great test results!! Amazed everyday by Brooklyn...what a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed you were able to be in the room with her. First, because I would probably pass out. Second, if I didn't pass out I would probably have gotten sick to my stomach. Once again, I'm in awe of the strength and courage you ALL have. I can't wait to hear the wonderful test results on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way my password on my last comment was SO A TIGER! I feel like that's the attitude you all have. Leukemia doesn't stand a chance against that kind of attitude and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALways thinking of you and sending you love! and really sending it up for Monday...

    My Momma Lion comes out reading your blog...I want to say to your medical team WE MUST ALWAYS HAVE A PEDIATRIC SURGEON IN THE ROOM WHEN OUR BABY HAS A PROCEDURE!! I am glad they were able to take the stitches out! Our Brooklyn heals quickly, easily and perfectly! And she will continue to do so! I know that everyone will face whatever is ahead with courage and faith...and we know that we are led! Still...praying for the best possible news on Monday...so that our Brookie can ease up a bit on the agressive, first-30-days, protocal.

    It will be Otay!Kathy and gang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always terrific to hear the good news. I bet those Cheetos tasted EXTRA GOOD to Brooklyn! And the pizza, "pantakes and tyrup"... Good for her! Brooklyn surely deserved them.

    But it was so hard to read how she begged you for something to eat prior... Poor Brooklyn, and my heart felt for you. So hard for sure.

    But we are looking forward to the preliminary test results tomorrow.
    Give Brooklyn high fives for a job well done!

    Nice surprise on the hail and fun for your other kids as well.

    Kudos to Mike who has been there faithfully providing in so many ways in the "background"! Keep up the good work Mike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job doctors, nurses, medical team too for our VIP, "Very Important Patient".

    ReplyDelete