Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cancer Sucks

My poor little Brookie had a rough one today. Our home nurse came by this morning to draw blood for her regular blood counts, but she couldn't get any because the steroid that she is on can do something to her broviak tube which prevents them from being able to draw any blood. So, now she has to get some kind of medicine put into her tubes tomorrow to clear them out. Apparently it is okay, not something they are worried about, but just another thing that is annoying and is more for her to have to go through. We went to pick up Braden from school, and she was fine, but after we got home, she started throwing up. It was really weird b/c she hasn't been sick much at all and it was so hard to see her feeling so bad. She wanted to take a nap then, but after waking up from her nap, she had diarrhea so her bottom was really sore. I told her we should take a bath so she would feel better, but she cried the whole time. Then after her bath, I had to get all her snarls out of her hair, which just made so much hair come out in my brush; it didn't bother her at all though. After she has a bath or gets wet, we have to change her dressing over her broviak tube to ensure that no bacteria is getting in there. She hates to change it b/c it hurts to peel the tape off and the cleaning product kind of stings her. She always yells that she wants the tape back on, so it seems like it is comforting to have the pressure of the tape on there. I told her that we had to change her dressing since she had taken a bath & she just kept saying, "Please Mommy, don't change my dressing, please Mommy, please." It was heartbreaking. We did it really quickly and she was great with it. She pretty much just laid on the couch the rest of the day and was happy to watch a movie. She didn't get sick anymore, so that was good. It is weird that you can be so mad at a disease or infection. I hate that it is making her so sick & making her feel so terrible & making her whole body look and feel so different. I wish I could just make it all go away. We only have 3 more days of the intense steroids, so hopefully after that she will start to feel a little better and have more energy. Thank you for continuing to pray for Brooklyn.

7 comments:

  1. We are praying for perseverance and comfort for you all. May God grant you all peace as you continue to endure the suffering that this terrible disease has brought upon sweet Brooklyn. Even as time passes know that you are remembered daily in our prayers. And remember that God is big enough to draw each of you into His loving arms and to carry you when fatigue sets in. Rest in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to little Brooklyn, may God hold her in His healing, loving arms through it all. May God give you all faith, strength, comfort and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly Father,
    I can see my friend and her family hurting emotionally and physically right now. I ask you to please ease their suffering. I pray you will help the doctors and nurses collect the samples they need with minimal pain and discomfort. Heavenly Father, I ask you to provide healing and relief from the steroids and cancer treatments so Brooklyn can run and play and enjoy being a kid again. In your name I pray these things. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Kristin. That just breaks my heart. It brings back lots of memories for me too. When Drew had surgery when he was 4, the worst part was the dressing changes. He hated them too. I know how hard it is when your child is sick and scared and can't undertand why they have to take medicine or do dressing changes, but you have to make them do it. :( I'm praying for all of you. I'm glad to hear that you're doing Beads of Courage. Lots of love to the Frank Family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cancer does suck! I am so sad for Brooklyn and for you. No parent should have to watch their child suffer like that. Brooklyn is such a strong girl and such an inspiration - much like her mommy! Kristin, you have proved to be so strong and you inspire her (and me). We will keep praying and sending you love and strength! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, our prayers are for Brooklyn and for you and Mike. It must be incredibly hard to see your child suffer like that. Brooklyn is a strong little girl and she and you will get through this. We pray healing for Brooklyn and strength for all of you. Our love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very heartbreaking to read so I can imagine what you are going through. I know you would without hesitation want to take all of that cancer, discomfort, pain, upon you in a second.

    Please let Brooklyn know that we are all so VERY PROUD of her to endure all that she is going through.

    Continued prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete