Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chubby Bunny

Did you ever play that game in junior high where you try to stuff as many marshmallows as you can into your cheeks and still say "Chubby Bunny"? Brooklyn's cheeks totally remind me of that game! She is so cute and she is totally getting the round face and belly just like the doctor and nurses said she would. And the fact that I think she had 13 chicken dinosaurs today probably added to her chubby bunny cheeks! We had a mellow morning, just hanging out at home. We went on a little walk with Kelsey b/c the weather was so beautiful, but she got tired so I ended up holding Kelsey and pushing Brooklyn in the stroller. We took the heart monitor back so I am hoping to hear something back from them by the end of the week. After we took it back, we picked up Braden and his friend from the park after my mom had picked them up from school. Brooklyn's counts were up the other day, so I said that we could get out and play for awhile. It was the sweetest thing to see her running after her brother and wanting to go wherever he went. She was loving the swings and the play structure and it made me so happy that she could play outside like normal. But it was also weird b/c it isn't normal anymore. I am usually so laid back about germs and dirt and playing at the park, I think with four kids you just learn to be more relaxed about that stuff. But now, I worry about it. I didn't want her to be too close to the other kids b/c it's not like she's just getting over a cold or the flu. She has cancer. It is crazy to me to think that my daughter has cancer. I don't want it to be true. I want to be able to not worry about germs or if she is standing next to a kid who coughs at the playground. I have accepted it and I know that this is the life that we lead now and I relish the days when she feels good and we do something fun together. We have a great life and we are blessed with every day, and now we always have clean hands. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kristin, how I hear you...you want it not to be true and yet it IS true! So all your hands are clean, and you push Brooklyn in the stroller and carry Kelsey. You mark time from "before" and "after" diagnosis.

    This is the hardest month. I know her heart is fine...her body is battling a lot right now. The chemo targets growing cells...so with the bad go some of the good!

    And, I do believe that steriods can upset one's sleep cycle. You might be doing midnight snacks more often than not!

    It is hard to think that she will probably feel worse before she feels better. The treatment itself is so intense and taxing. I know we would all line up to TAKE IT for this precious girl.

    I know I keep saying it, but it is just so profound that SHE is taking this on...for us all! For the Greater Good.

    One more thing: At some point you may need to be extra assertive and even demanding with the doctors, or whoever you need to be clear with. I DO NOT want to hear that Brooklyn has to wait for hours with an empty stomach again! They have got to do better than that! (Momma Lion)

    We, your followers, also can't say this enough: TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU!

    So much love in your family, and so much love in this world! I sure feel it when I visit this blog. We count our blessings with so much gratitude!

    I know that Brooklyn will be swimming in your pool, a little fish...before you know it! (well, it will seem like it when you are looking BACK on this journey) Time will pass and this will be part of your family's triumphant story.

    LOVE YOU ALL! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all of you. My husband's 9 yr old niece has been through the same thing over the past 2 years, but is really doing great. I know that Brooklyn will be doing great through it all, also. It sounds like she is a real trooper!! Meanwhile, I will be praying for you, and all of Calvary Chapel Tracy is praying for her, and all of you, also. May God Bless all of you,
    Teri Vallard

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Brooklyn and her chubby bunny cheeks. Buffet breakfasts, pancake dessert, ice cream appetizer, 13 chicken dinosaurs, still equals one cute little girl.
    I wonder what's next on our special girl's menu???

    It is nice to see the positive, and encouraging comments from other cancer situations with other children and their families. My heart goes out to you, Brooklyn and all the other children and families battling cancer in their young age.

    Glad to see that you all spent some quality time in the park, despite the apprehension you felt. Nice to keep some normalcy for Brooklyn and the rest of the kids. Yes, it is sweet to see Brooklyn running after her older brother in whatever he was doing. Just to see them playing must have brought you much joy. Great to see her count was up the other day too!!! (:

    Be blessed Kristin, Mike, and your whole family. God loves you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete