Friday, March 11, 2011

Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...

So our day started out pretty normally. Thursday is our day at home so it is nice to be able to not be on too much of a schedule & just relax. My good friend came over to watch the girls so I could do our taxes - fun fun! It was great though to get that stuff done. Then I took some time to cuddle with Brooklyn on the couch as she finished watching Nemo, and then Brooklyn & Kayla played together for a couple hours. They were having such a great time pretending & being silly. Brooklyn said she didn't feel great and wanted to lay down again. She hadn't eaten hardly anything all day, so I thought maybe she was just hungry, but I felt her head and she felt warm so I took her temperature and she had a fever. It was such a bummer. I had to work out who could watch the other kids, cancel Kayla going to gym class, make sure Mike could go to the Kindergarten orientation at school & take Braden's friend home on our way to the hospital. Oh, and I found out tonight that Mike's car got broken into today. Whoo hoo! The hits just keep on comin! Thankfully, all the people took were his mints, napkins and registration. I'm thinking that the registration must've been a mistake. Seriously? Who takes mints?! His GPS & all the little league gear was still there, so that was good at least. Crazy. Anyway, I kind of went through a whirlwind of emotions on our drive to the hospital. I felt like I was okay with it all because I felt like she was fine & I wasn't worried about her, but then I was mad that we had to be going in again just because of a fever, and then I was sad that this is what our life is like now. Does it mean that I really can't take her out anywhere since I did yesterday and she got a fever today? Our nurses and doctors have told us to try to keep things as normal as possible and when her blood counts are good, we should go out and do things because there will be plenty of times when we have to stay home. But it seems like she always gets sick after we do that. When we got to the hospital, they gave her tylenol right away and she felt totally fine. I have decided that it must be better to go to the hospital in the middle of the night because when we did last week, we got much more attention. Granted, I absolutely want the nurses and doctors to take care of the kids that have emergencies or more serious situations going on before they take care of us because Brooklyn was really doing fine. In fact, we played good/bad guy, made a fort house out of the curtains, cleaned stuff with the alcohol wipes, sang itsy bitsy spider 100 times, played doctor, played with Gumby and Pokey, drew with her scribble & write, had snacks & planned a sleepover party all before they even drew her blood! It was pretty frustrating because no one seemed to be in any kind of hurry to help us and all we wanted to do was go home! Mike got there about 8:30 with food for us (thankfully) and we finally got her antibiotic and got to leave to go home at 10:00pm. It was exhausting, but good that she was fine & we got to leave. I actually really loved my time alone with her singing and playing in the room, it was not where I would choose to spend one-on-one time with Brooklyn, but we had fun together anyway. We have lots of questions for her doctor about fevers and medications, so hopefully we will get those answered tomorrow. Time for sleep!

2 comments:

  1. WOW...I am exhausted just hearing about your day yesterday...but such is life. It's always something! Luckily, we capable women in control BEND LIKE WILLOWS and go with it. I certainly understand your range of emotions! I think it is very healthy that you are able to aknowledge all feelings, good and bad...and when day is done,you always manage to look on the bright side, and give thanks. You are ALL troopers!

    Hmmm...icky about Mike's car though it is nice they didn't take all the gear and GPS and stuff. Maybe the thief got interrupted? Is there any identifying info on the registration? UGH!

    love you all! Keep on keepin' on! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I double WOW Kate's comment as I too got exhausted by all you went through yesterday. (WOW!, WOW!)

    I have to admire you Kristen that even after ALL OF THAT yesterday, you still blogged 'til after midnight! I probably would have hit the sack, exhausted. Hope you all got some good sleep.

    Glad that the fever was knocked down and that Brooklyn felt better. Hope you all had a nice day today and Brooklyn is feeling better. I am sure Mike and Braden had baseball practice as I know others started their t-ball practices today.

    Hope you got your answers from your doctor today as well.

    Despite all that you went through yesterday, sounds like you had a blessed one-on-one time with Brooklyn, albeit, while waiting at the hospital. Have a nice rest of the weekend. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete