Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Feisty but fun!

It is great to see Brooklyn feeling so good again. We took Kayla to school today and Brooklyn wanted to go inside when I checked Kayla in. I haven't been bringing her in & she hasn't wanted to go, but today she did. She always used to like to play in her big sister's class a little while before we left, and today was just like old times. Kayla's teacher let Brooklyn paint a rainbow, just like Kayla & her friend were doing and then played with the blocks & cars. She loved it and you could see that she was thriving just being around the other kids. We went to Old Navy then and she was just darling - the mannequins were right inside the door and she went right up to the little girl one and wanted me to take her picture. So funny! She actually took a little nap when we got home, I think all the activity in the morning, after a month of pretty much just resting & laying on the couch, wore her out! She has her feisty little attitude back now too. She was mad at me when I wouldn't do something that she wanted today and threw some good fits as well as some toys - and she's got her daddy's arm for sure! It's funny because since she's not on the steroids anymore, I don't think that I can call them 'roid rages anymore, so maybe it's just being 3. It's such a fun age. :) She is good at turning the sweetness back on though. She was trying to convince me tonight that she should have a cookie even after she brushed her teeth because she would drink water and then "all the tugar will go in my tummy, not my teeth." Her appetite is way down - she hardly ate anything today, it is weird after she was so hungry so often. She still goes to her favorites though when she wants something - pizza and cheetos would make her happy all the time - but they would make most of us happy I suppose. :) We are still trying to figure out the best way to give her her new medication. It is in pill form, so last night we crushed it and added juice and put it in her syringe, tonight we crushed it and added sugar on a spoon. We were hoping she would just swallow it, but she didn't like it when we tried that way this afternoon. It is encouraging to see her feeling so well. I know it won't last forever because the chemo will wipe her out and bring her blood counts down again, so we are enjoying it while it lasts! I'll take feisty and playing over fatigue and feeling sick every time!

3 comments:

  1. Is she able to take her medicine in pudding? That's another trick I've seen used. Maybe a pudding like Tapioca or Rice pudding would be best since it has substance in it instead of a smoothe texture. Scott said he saw you all today and I was so sad I missed you at drop off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so wonderful to see her today and that beautiful smile! So glad to hear she's got her spunk back and that rage you're talking about over not getting their way? I think it's the 3 yr. old age b/c we're seeing a lot of that too. :) Hope the rest of the week goes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny about wanting the pic with the mannequin and real cute pic as well. Sweet smile that we love to see! :)

    Yep, can't use the "roid rage" excuse anymore but I am sure we are glad for that to be off the steroids!

    Nice to get tips from family/friends on taking the meds. That pudding tip sounds great. I personally vote for tapioca, (my favorite, if it tastes like Fresh Choice's). Brooklyn's seems like being a really good trooper in taking her meds though.

    Fun age too, and the things they say. Love the washing the cookie and "tugar" down with water request! Funny! :)

    I can picture the feisty, mad tantrum and see the flying dolls and toys... and then the sweetness switch turning on. Yes, fun age....most of the times...:)

    Nice to see Brooklyn enjoyed her time in her big sister's class with the other kids.

    Feisty and playing over fatigue and feeling sick gets my vote too. Though the chemo will have its effects, Brooklyn's in the good hands of her Mommy and Jesus!

    ReplyDelete