Friday, February 11, 2011

A Whole New World

We had a fun morning yesterday. Brooklyn, Kayla, my Mom & I played games together for awhile, but then Brookie was tired and just wanted to lay on the couch. Her favorite movie this week is Monsters Inc. She wants to watch it over and over. We got a call from the nurse in the afternoon saying that Brooklyn's hemoglobin was down a lot from Monday so we needed to go in at 8:00 this morning to have it rechecked and possibly get blood. I was so bummed about it because I just want her to be healthy all the time. They have told us that the chemo will make her numbers go up and down, but I get so sad when they are down. I hate that the Leukemia is hurting her and I hate that the chemo is so hard on her too. Mike and I actually got to play games at our friend's house last night and it was a great break for us to just laugh and not think about medications and blood counts and doctors appointments. Brookie and I left at 7:00 this morning to go to the infusion room to get her blood checked again. She ended up needing to get blood as well as her chemo, so we were there most of the day. She has had a fine reaction to it, but is still really tired. We didn't hear anything about the heart monitor results today, so hopefully we will on Monday. The steroids are still in full effect as is evident every 10 minutes when she says "Me wanna eat someting".  Being there today was crazy for me b/c I never really thought much about cancer before. I definitely felt sad for someone who was diagnosed, but I was always so busy with our "ordinary" life that I had no understanding of what people with cancer actually have to go through. Seeing all the other kids and moms there today made me realize what a big deal it really is. I know that I will never be the same. I so desperately want Brooklyn to be healed and all her treatments to be over, but I know that even when we are past this time, I will never forget that other kids are going through the same process.  I hope that once we are at that point, our family will be able to help other families cope through it all. We are still continually amazed at the wonderful support and love that we have received from everyone. Thank you so much.

5 comments:

  1. You're an amazing family and I know that God will use you to touch and encourage others through this journey. Glad you were able to enjoy an evening of laughs last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,
    You are one amazing mama! Thanks for being so open and vulnerable about your thoughts and feelings. We are praying for you guys! We love you!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Mindy and Kim's comments! You are an amazing mom and an inspirational family. You remind me through reading your blogs, to slow down and enjoy my family. I know God has a plan and will use you guys for great things. We continue to pray for you. So glad you got to have a night out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Kristin,

    We all resonate so much with every thought you share...every beat of your heart is our heart...
    I think especially all these mother's hearts...from your mom to you to Brooklyn and all us moms thinking about you and loving you all!

    I have also thought about the other children...I hope that every baby has a Momma who will get up at two in the morning and fix ham and waffles! I hope every baby has hugs and love to cuddle in!

    As you so wisely said, we are all forever changed for having shared this journey of Brooklyn's.

    One more thing: You and Mike are a match made in HEAVEN! I felt that at your wedding and of course even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I say ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, to all the comments above?

    You will never be the same, Kristin, but your mother's heart for your children will always remain loving, true, enduring... You are blessed with your children and they are blessed with a mother and father like the both of you! Continued prayers for Brooklyn and on your family's journey together and for all those other precious children and families.

    Take it easy and get your rest as well and enjoy those little blessings each day such as...
    ...from the mouths of babes,..."Me wanna eat something"...are such precious, sweet, cute words, from a precious, sweet, cute, and special 2-year old! (:

    Not to forget your other precious, sweet, cute, and special children! (: (: (:

    ReplyDelete