Thursday, June 23, 2011

Those Little Legs

We've had a fun few days. Tuesday I took the kids to the zoo in the morning before it got too hot. We had a great time and it was fun to get out. My double jogging stroller had a flat tire so I put Kelsey in the umbrella stroller and ended up carrying Brooklyn most of the time. We were the only ones on the merry-go-round before we left, so that was cool. I stood in between Kelsey on the ostrich and Brooklyn on the kangaroo and they both loved it!! We did some fun art projects and watched movies at home the rest of the day since it got into the 100s. Wednesday, we had a relaxing morning at home and then the kids and I played in the pool while Kelsey napped. It is was so much fun, Brooklyn was loving the water again and Braden and Kayla are getting to be great swimmers. After awhile, Brookie got tired so she came in to watch a movie and the three of us stayed outside and swam a little longer. I was so thankful for the awesome day with the kids and how great it was to just play and enjoy being together. I love summer! Late that afternoon, Brookie's mood started to change though. She was complaining that her legs were hurting from walking so much, but she hadn't really been walking much at all. She didn't want to eat much and then after dinner, they were really sore so I got some lotion and rubbed them for her, which seemed to make her feel better. Even in bed, they were hurting to the point where she would yell out for me to rub them so I ran up and down the stairs quite a few times. It seems that running up and down the stairs is my main form of exercise these days! At one point, she wanted to come lay on the couch with me but once she was down here she couldn't get comfortable and was in so much pain she was just crying. It hurt so much to see her hurting like that. I just wanted to make it all go away. She can't take pain medication because the doctors don't want to mask anything that might be going on inside her, although if it is still bad tomorrow, I am going to call to see if we can give her something. Mike was gone for work last night so I just had her sleep in bed with me and I basically rubbed her legs all night. She was so uncomfortable she just didn't know what to do. Today, she was at the point where she didn't even want to stand on her feet. She was like that when we were in the hospital, and it was important to get her to walk, so I am praying that she is better when she wakes up tomorrow. She is so amazingly sweet even when she is feeling bad; last night while we were lying in her bed, Kelsey was crying downstairs and Brookie starting singing "Hush Little Baby". She always sings for Kelsey when she is upset to try to make her happy again. Today she loved to give hugs and kisses whenever I got something for her or laid by her or rubbed her legs. She has the most amazing attitude. The back and sides of her hair are all rubbing off so she's almost all the way bald now. I was hoping that the re-growth that she had from when so much fell out a few months ago would stay and just continue growing, but it looks like all of it is going to come out. She likes to take the lint roller and get the little hairs off the couch cushions. She loves to be a big helper!  Even through all of these hard days (and nights), I know that the important thing is that we are making it through each day and she is beating this disease. She is such a strong and cute little baldy. :)

2 comments:

  1. She is an ADORABLE little baldy! She can really rock that 'do!

    Sending you ALL infinite love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    You have a beautiful brave little girl, bald and all. I think about you often and we love you. Praying for you and your family everyday.

    Love, Christina Buechler

    ReplyDelete