Sunday, June 5, 2011

Charging Through


What a difference a couple days can make. Saturday morning, Mike and I decided to try a new way (again) to get Brookie to take the steroids. We crush the pills and then add some juice to them and put it all in a syringe. It is great because the juice makes them taste a little better and we can shoot it in her cheek even if her teeth are clenched shut. She still doesn't want to take them, but it is SO much better! It only takes 5 - 10 minutes to get everything in her instead of 30 - 45. And it is way less dramatic, which is good. Mike and Brooklyn went to Costco Saturday morning to pick up some more of her antibiotic, and she threw up as soon as they walked in the door. I don't think it was from the steroids, and luckily it was about 2 hours since we had given them to her, so we didn't have to give them to her again. I think that she must be feeling bad from the chemo on Friday. It is hard though because she doesn't let us know she isn't feeling good, so we haven't given her the anti-nausea meds very often because she always seems to be feeling fine, so we don't know she is sick until she throws up. She threw up again when they got home and again this morning, so we have been giving her the anti-nausea medicine along with her antibiotics and steroids. It's crazy to see 3 syringes sitting next to each other, but we just get through them one after the other, and she has been doing great. It is sad because she doesn't want to take any medicine anymore. I think she is just sick of all of it, even though they don't all taste bad. She will cross her arms and say, "Me not gonna take my medicine eder again." She is so sweet. Her nurse comes over in the morning to get her blood counts, so hopefully they will still be good, this round of chemo could make them go down a little. When I was reading my Bible yesterday, I read these verses in 2 Samuel and they reminded me that God is carrying us through this time. "God is my strong fortress, and He makes my way perfect. He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights." I may not think of this time as perfect, but I know there is a reason we are experiencing it, and God's plan is much better than mine ever is.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect verse - thanks for sharing it! Glad you came up with a new way to give Brookie her meds and I hope her nausea gets better.

    ReplyDelete