Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Learning every day

We have had a good few days. We have been having fun playing at home and running around picking up the kids from school. I was thinking yesterday that the things I am talking about now, I knew nothing about 3 months ago. So, I included these pictures so that you could see all that we have to take care of and you know how tough Brooklyn is. Her Broviak is the line where she has blood drawn and she receives chemo, blood transfusions and any medications for her surgeries. It is great because she never has to get poked, especially during this time when she has so many surgeries, blood tests and all of that. However, it is also a lot of responsibility for us. It is basically a direct line to her heart, so that is why it is so important that everything is so sterile when we are cleaning it. We have also been super careful with her lately because she has all of her energy back which means she is all over the place; so I pin her taped tubes to her shirt every day to make sure that she doesn't get them caught on something or yank them out as she's flipping over the arm of the couch over and over! "Flushing" it every day means we are putting heparin in the lines so that her body doesn't form a blood clot around the tube that is in her chest. That along with changing the caps on the tubes once a week and changing the dressing every 2-3 days can make your head spin. But we have kind of got it down. It is really crazy to say that, but we are used to it and so is she. She knows we need to do it every day, and she is so patient and always helps. I was thinking about it today as I was doing laundry. Apparently I didn't take a kleenex out of one of our pockets, so there was little pieces of white lint on every item of clothing in the washing machine. It is the same way with what we are experiencing with Brooklyn's cancer. It has affected all of our lives, we are all touched by just this one thing. But we are getting through it. Everything came out in the dryer and was just as clean as it should be, and I know we will be there soon too.  We just need to tumble around for a couple of years first. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristin! I appreciate the medical information and hearing about your daily routine, the "new normal", at least for the time being. I am proud of ALL of you! Brooklyn is setting such a grand example. Life is full of challenges! Maddie said "Its not important how you fall, its how you get back up!" You have all stepped up in such a brave and also graceful manner. I remember you saying that you had thought about being a pediatrician--and here you are! Quite intense nursing. Really something to see that line going straight into Brookie's heart. WOW. Excellent analogy about the kleenex in the laundry! Yes indeed, we all come out clean and fresh...just gotta ride out the tumbles. love you guys soooo much! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, Working in healthcare I've seen these tubes and wires and have known what they all do. However, I've never thought of it with as much understanding of what and where it all really goes. You know to THINK about how that little tube/line is in fact a lifeline on so many levels. Once again, seeing your photos and reading your words has left such a deep impression and lasting on my heart and spirit. I will never again pull kleenex out of my dryer w/o thinking of your analogy. Hugs and love to you my dear. I hope you know you continue to be in our prayers and we miss you terribly in our small group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you Kristin for enlightening us on the technical and med info and pics. Brooklyn seems proud of showing her "badge of courage". She certainly is a brave little girl.

    The kleenex story is all too familiar, and I agree that how you expressed you thoughts and closed this entry puts Brooklyn's Journey in a positive and perfect perspective!

    ReplyDelete